Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Return and a Farewell

It's been five months since I last posted, but since it is the day before Thanksgiving, today is as good a time as any to get back in to the swing of things. A few weeks back, Marcus from All the Way to the Backstop sent over a few cards from his trade list, the most prominent being a 2014 Topps Orange parallel of Hank Conger.


I specifically requested this card because Hank was my favorite "under the radar" Angel. Sure, anyone can collect the big names like Trout and Pujols, but I have always had a soft spot for Hank. The hometown kid from Huntington Beach is a fun loving guy and seemed to be good for clubhouse chemistry. Many an Angels fan wondered why he never got a true shot at being the everyday catcher. Well, that is a moot point now, as after I inquired about this card, Hank was traded to the Astros. Baseball wise, I felt it was a good deal for the Angels. They got a cost controlled young pitcher and a potential future backup catcher, something that seemed to be Conger's destiny if he stayed with the club. Personally, I feel conflicted. On the one hand, Hank will get a clean slate with the Astros, but on the other hand, it feels that the Angels wasted another high draft pick. Regardless, I wish Hank the best with his new team.

Now, back to the main point of this post. As this is the time of year to give thanks, I would like to give a big Thank You to Marcus. He was the one who initially encouraged me to create this blog. Though the posts have been lacking, I have still managed to make numerous trades with members of the blogosphere world this year. Though we all have our own reasons for collecting, the common theme is that we share a strange affinity for cardboard. Be safe all and have a Happy Thanksgiving.    

No comments:

Post a Comment